Skip to main content

What Is Your Earliest Human Memory ?

My earliest memory is when I was a toddler, I was crawling in the kitchen of my grand mother's house towards a hot cooker kept on the floor. I also have faint memories of getting burnt on my thighs on it. I wish I remembered the face of my grand mother. People say she loved me more than anybody in the world. Showered me with attention, Ignoring the whole house and cooking only the food I loved - Kesari with lots of Cashews and Ghee they say, I loved the ones she made. She always had the ingredients ready, they say, in case I dropped in with my mom or dad as a surprise visit. Unfortunately she passed away before I could walk properly.

I grew up watching the neighboring kid and my then classmate getting all the special attention, love and care from his grand mother, who never let him down, even when made mistakes. Probably she wanted to show me that all the marks I scored better than him (in fact all others, yes I used to be the 1st rank kid) and the prizes I won at school for competitions, and being the famous kid, none of them made up for what I was missing.

Another notable memory I remember is in my childhood house, while sitting in the kitchen entrance again (ahem.. OK, its coincidence, really! :P) and watching my mom make food and acting like doing the homework, while all I did was watch my little baby sister. I turned away from her and turned back again to see her trying to roll over for the first time in life. She was half way through and I started to jump and yell running around her cheering her to do it, while my mom stood watching her along with me. After a few nail biting seconds, she finally rolled over. It was such a cute sight to watch the cutest baby girl** in town roll over for the first time. I was so happy like I achieved something great, and I guess I went up to each and every one in school including my poor school teachers telling how amazingly my little sister rolled over. Everyone I remember, gave that trademark smile which means "OK Kid, STFU and get the hell out of here instead of dramatizing your boring story" in their mind, but instead they would say "Oh really.. that's very nice" to not disappoint me and quickly walk away. There are times I wished that me and my sister didn't have that 6 years age difference, which if it was lesser could have may be bonded us better ? These are moments that make me realize how lucky I have been.

**(My sister was very cute as a baby, in fact like the ones you see in forwarded mails, fair and chubby with round eyes, while I was nothing short of the scary fugly babies that appear in Horror movies and Doom 3, I can post photos as evidence soon)

Thanks to Tumblr Bot for asking this question. Sorry for betraying Tumblr and posting answer to this on Blogger :)

Comments

  1. Nice post. Childhood memories are beautiful, arent they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice, post. I agree with Ash, childhood memories are so sweet and a reminder of time of possibility and discovery.

    It's always good to remember those that are no longer with us, particularly when they are dear to us as your grandmother was to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This inspires me to write about my childhood memories.. Will be posting one soon :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Silly 'Flu'sh Back

Day 1:- Swine Flu's fear and fame was at its peak among the people. I was even more worried as the area in which I lived in Bangalore had some reported deaths and a lot of infections. A friend and colleague said I am over reacting and panicking too much. I replied with Tha'lame' fake anguish on my face - "Yeiiii ! Na Thani Aal illa !" (I am not just a single/one person). He replied - "Yes, I heard you eat three people's lunch"

To multiply the horror effect, suddenly many people in office were starting to catch "common cold". So, at times in office, when I am one among 2 or more people, who try to pass through a small space between cubicles, I do "About turn" and take my mobile and start calling Credit card telemarketers to make the move seem natural and escape the situation.

Day 2:- I was sitting at my place heavily concentrating on tasks like pointlessly checking mails continuously and occasionally doing productive work. Then I h…

How I know Vodafone India is selling your numbers to Telemarketers!

My phone speakers stopped working a little while ago. So when the phone is not with me, which is, most of the time, I have the habit of calling people back after I see the missed calls. So I called up this unknown number today who had tried to call me earlier. "Good Morrrrningg Doctor Raahaevoswangyaaa" (that's how he pronounced it), the guy said on the other line. Ok, I know! the 'Doctor' part right? I will explain soon below. My brain quickly figured out two possible callers - either its an old friend or its someone from Vodafone customer service calling me.

I thought it was an old friend first, because the way the guy wished me 'good morning' was the rough equivalent of a class of seventy five 5th standard students wishing the class teacher 'good morning' in the first hour of Monday morning. Except, there was no chorus and just one voice tone which was very close to Akshay Kumar's, in one of his 'decade old' movies with that annoyin…

Cute Kavithaigal

These were forwarded to me.. loved them